RCAF Overseas Catalinas: The ‘Saviour of Ceylon’ and Beyond
• Catalina Mk.I, IB, & VIB aircraft of 413 and 422 Squadrons
• Decals to model up to 3 (if subjects featuring each variant of national markings are chosen) of 5 photo-documented subjects plus the markings to model 2 other significant-action aircraft, including S/L Leonard Birchall’s “Saviour of Ceylon” sortie Mk.I and a Boeing Canada-built Mk.IVB, based on carefully interpreted graphic reconstructions.
• Twelve 8.5 x 11 in. pages of illustrated documentation plus addenda material*
• Catalina Mk.I W8427 / QL•G, Sullom Voe, Scotland 1941-’42 / Koggala, Ceylon, 1942-43 S/L Birchall’s usual aircraft complete with “bomb-slinging Canadian Cat” nose art. Flown to Ceylon by the Squadron OC, W/C Plant, and crew.
• Catalina Mk.IB FP103 / DG•A (422 Squadron) UK & USSR, force landed in the Shetlands during a storm encountered while enroute home from northern USSR, September 1942
• Catalina Mk.I W8412 / B (“Coeur De Lion” inscription nose art), Koggala, 1942-43 – an example of an early Mk.I aircraft refinished with mid-1942 era markings in Ceylon
• Catalina Mk.IB FP306 / D, Koggala, 1942-43 – a Mk.IB in original factory finish and fitted with the full radar suite.
• Catalina Mk.IB FP182 / G, Koggala, early/mid 1944-43 - a Mk.IB in field-modified “mostly white” ASW finish and fitted with the full radar suite. SEAC style national markings.
Subjects as graphic reconstructions based on non-photographic source materials:
• Catalina Mk.I AJ155 / QL•A, Koggala, 4 April 1942 – The “Saviour of Ceylon “sortie aircraft – graphic reconstruction based on other 413 Sqn attrition replacement aircraft received prior to the move from the UK to Ceylon.
• Catalina Mk.IVB JX276 / Z, Koggala, early / mid 944 – graphic reconstruction of a Canadian-built Mk.IVB as delivered to the squadron while in Ceylon. SEAC style national markings.
*Black and white laser prints are supplied in the package, and a high resolution, home/office-printable, colour PDF version is made available via email after purchase (automatically sent for direct-purchase customers).
Documentation includes decal placement and comprehensive painting instructions for all subject aircraft variations, in addition to illustrated articles (notes pages with photos and/or scale illustrations) on:
- Catalina Mk.I / Mk.IB wing centre-section (unique hardpoint structure to RAF specification);
- Catalina Mk.IVB wing centre-section (PBY structure with RAF-specific armament mods);
- RAF-specific ordnance loadouts;
- Defensive armament variations, illustrating differences between marques;
- ASV.II radar aerials – progressive variations.
- per-aircraft details other RAF-specific configuration variations such as ASV radar aerials, r/t w/t aerial installations, DF loops, exhausts, etc.
A separate general decal preparation / application instruction sheet completes the package.